Home » » Work At Home Parent: The Life Of A Daughter Of Parents Working At Home - True Story

Work At Home Parent: The Life Of A Daughter Of Parents Working At Home - True Story


Mateo and Cecilia, my parents came as immigrants to the United States 22 years ago, they came with only few dollars to the U.S and knew nobody. Like everyone else they wanted the American Dream and possibly make money for their upcoming baby, me. I was born in Los Angeles and after the hospital I came to a small bed-room, living with my mom and dad along with other people in the house. The room was so small only a small twin bed and a small furniture could fit. My parents didn't have enough money to buy me shoes, sometimes I was barefoot and if I was lucky enough I would get some shoes from the 99 cents store only. My dad had a job and my mom was working for a small family who owned a small business but it was still not enough. A year later, they noticed they needed more money because my baby sister was coming so they decided to become their own boss and start a small business.
How It All tarted
My mom started selling clothing and shoes as she bought them at a wholesale price and sold them at retail price from home. As far as I can remember I was always with my mother going house to house distributing merchandise. My father was still working at his job. As time passed my mom's small business working from home was kicking off and they were building their list of customers. My dad decided to get together with my mom and do the business together, I was about 12 years old when they decided to rent a warehouse because their business and merchandise could not fit in my parent's room anymore.
After school instead of going home I will go to my parent's business retail store. People will go in and out of the shop as I will do my homework. I was always with my parents, in my parent's break we will always eat together. They never missed seeking me and my sister grow.When kids at school asked me what my parents did for a living I will always say they sale clothes and shoes. I knew I didn't have a normal life because all my friends had parents working for someone else, at a restaurant, construction, at a warehouse and here I was with parent's working from home. I sometimes felt left-out and confused of why my parent's didn't have a job like everyone else. I wanted to be normal.
As their business grew bigger, we bought a home of our own in 2005, the house was so big they decided to get all the merchandise and business and bring it into the new home. The retail store was fine but it was until then the housing market crashed and we were forced to move all the stuff inside a home once again. They don't regret it in fact they like it better, working from home doing almost everything online was something they are grateful about.
Since I was 17 I have been working at my parent's home business, creating invoices, and sometimes calling customers but like any other person I felt I needed to have something on my own. So I started my own home based business as well while going to college and it was the best decision I could have made.
Would You Do The Same Thing
Since I could remember I was always with my parents, I thank God for not knowing what is like having parent's work away from home. I was always there with them and I am sure when it is time for me to spread my wings and leave away from home they won't feel as, "I was working too much I didn't have a chance to spend time with her." My parent's saw me growing from the time I will get my awards for being the best student in elementary school, parent conferences, during break they will be there when I had trouble learning subtraction, the first time I became a young lady and my mother went to the store to get me pads, the time they decided to enroll me to a dance academy and watch me and my sister perform, they met my first boyfriend, they were there when I got my heart broken for the first time and my mom telling me everything was going to be OK. They saw me getting ready to go to prom and since they worked from home they had no problem going to my high school graduation. Now I am 22 and I realize having parents working from home was the best thing that has ever happened to me.


0 comments:

Post a Comment